October is here, and Halloween is right around the corner. The time for costume planning, pumpkin carving, and candy collecting is nigh. Above all, it’s the season for haunted hayrides, zombie mazes, and any number of other spooky encounters.
For those looking for some fun, controlled terror this Halloween, we've mapped some of the best haunted attractions across Los Angeles. Some have high production values (and high ticket prices); others are homemade and completely free. All are scary in their own ways.
For more spooky reads:
- 20 haunted Los Angeles landmarks and their ghost stories
- What lies beneath: LA’s first graveyards were abandoned, defiled, dug up, and bulldozed in the name of progress
- Meet the ghosts at Los Angeles's most haunted hotels
- Los Angeles is killing us: Finding the secrets of mortality at LA’s most legendary cemeteries
- The ultimate horror movie map of LA
- Ghosts of early California: Every mission in California is said to be haunted—here are their tales