There are plenty of road trip-ready destinations from Los Angeles that are worth a tank of gas. If you’re planning to hit the probably not-so-open highways out of the city and are scouting for a beautiful place to stay, we’ve rounded up some of our favorite hotels, motels, B&Bs, and even glamping spots from San Diego to San Luis Obispo and Newport Beach to Palm Springs.
Whether you’re seeking a desert retreat or a historic hotel once frequented by Old Hollywood stars, check out the map below for a dozen spots in approximately north-to-south order.
For more travel recommendations:
- The best hotels in and around Palm Springs
- 12 places to find fall colors around Los Angeles
- 18 small towns around LA you should absolutely visit
- A guide to California desert design and travel
- 6 awesome campsites within about an hour of Los Angeles