The main house began as a small, foursquare-style cottage that was moved to the site at 240 North Grand Avenue in 1901 by owner Katherine Duncan, according to Greene and Greene: Masterworks by Bruce Smith.
Over the next five years, brothers Charles and Henry Greene did a number of renovations and expansions of the house, first for Duncan and then for Theodore Irwin, who bought the house from Duncan and funded its growth into the two-story home it is today.
The residence now offers, in total, eight bedrooms and bathrooms spread across the main house, garage, and guest house. The home is flanked by decks, terraces, a pool, and “other features that cannot be replicated”—perhaps referring to the giant pergola draped in ancient-looking wisteria vines or the two-story central courtyard with a water feature.
There have clearly been some sensitive updates to the bathrooms and kitchen, but Greene and Greene-era details—including elaborate woodwork, art glass windows, and massive overhangs—remain intact.
The residence, which has earned a spot on the National Register of Historic Places, is listed at $4.698 million with Peter Martocchio and David Goldberg of Sotheby’s International Realty.