clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Richard Nixon’s beachside estate in Orange County seeks $63.5M

New, 10 comments

The San Clemente residence was once called the “Western White House”

House and pool
The house sits on more than five acres above the beach.
Photos courtesy Rob Giem, Compass Realty

Having failed to find a buyer when listed for $75 million three years ago, the former Orange County home of President Richard Nixon is back up for sale with a significant price cut.

But La Casa Pacifica, as the San Clemente residence is now called, is still plenty expensive. It hit the market earlier this month seeking $63.5 million.

The sprawling Spanish-style compound sits on more than 5 acres directly overlooking the ocean. It was built in 1927 for financier Hamilton Cotton, who was, ironically, a major donor to the Democratic party. Franklin Delano Roosevelt was reportedly a frequent guest during his time as president.

Nixon purchased the home shortly after being sworn in as president in 1969. It soon became known as his “Western White House.” Some of the most influential political figures of the 20th Century strolled around its verdant lawns, including Ronald Reagan, Henry Kissinger, and Soviet leader Leonid Brezhnev.

The enormous property has 15,000 square feet of living space, with nine bedrooms and 12 bathrooms spread across a main house, a guest house, and an entertainment pavilion. Surrounded by gardens and walkways, the estate also holds amenities like a swimming pool, tennis court, multiple patios, and a putting green.

Nixon moved out of the house in the 1980s and sold it to its current owner. The extravagant home has been on and off the market since 2015.

Aerial view of Nixon house
Front lawn and entrance to house
Evening view of rolling lawn
Richard and Pat Nixon at La Casa Pacifica.
Nixon and Brezhnev.
Oliver F. Atkins/National Archives