Henry A. Ware House, a noted 1912 Greene and Greene English Revival residence off Orange Grove Boulevard in Pasadena, is on the market for the first time since a major renovation a few years ago.
Located at 460 Bellefontaine Street, the Ware House received an award in 2013 for the incredible restoration that the current owners performed on the property—a process that included restoring the original butcher-block counters, and relaying and refinishing the original Douglas Fir floors in the kitchen.
The house’s trough lighting system, “a very early example of indirect lighting,” was recreated in the living room as part of the restoration. More modern updates include high-end Viking appliances and Carrera marble in the kitchen, and a fully new master bathroom with a steam shower, dual sinks, and a deck.
The Pasadena-based architecture firm of brothers Charles and Henry Greene was renowned for its numerous Arts and Crafts projects, like the enormous Gamble House and the lavish masterpiece, the Blacker House.
The house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, in part because its Craftsman meets English design is “somewhat unusual for their style,” Sue Mossman, executive director of Pasadena Heritage, told the Pasadena Star News back in 2003.
Last sold December 2010 for $1.93 million, the Ware house is now listed for $4.3 million.
- 460 Bellefontaine [Kevin Bourland / John Aaroe Group]