With the warm and sunny weather, it feels like spring is already here. Thanks to a bunch of rain this winter, wildflowers are popping up everywhere from Griffith Park in Los Feliz to Kenneth Hahn State Recreation Area in Baldwin Hills, and hillsides are ridiculously verdant where once they were sad and brown.
If the sunshine, 70-degree temperatures, and colorful flora aren’t enough of a reason to get outside and into the city’s gorgeous parks, perhaps the final push can come from seeing happy dogs meeting friends, sniffing things, and panting heavily with the satisfaction that only a brisk hike can bring.
Whether off leash or on, in a designated area or not, adorable dogs always play a role in the backdrop of any city park. We’ve rounded up 18 of the best pictures of dogs across the area taking advantage of these public resources and of LA’s famously wonderful climate. Enjoy!
- A puggle in Griffith Park, just east of the tennis courts by the Greek Theatre.
2. This terrier named Chelsea is getting her paws muddy in Ernest E. Debs Park.
3. This Doodle is focused on the road ahead in Kenneth Hahn State Recreation Area.
4. Over in Runyon Canyon, Elvis the Chihuahua and his buddy Clarence are working off all the treats they ate at last weekend.
Perfect day for a Runyon hike with #elvisthechi & #clarencethedog Elvis has superb listening skills at Runyon. He is behaved everywhere he goes and is the perfect gentleman. We have a giant crush on him. ❤️️❤️️ - - - #maedayrescue #maedaydog #runyoncanyon #chihuahua #chihuahuas #chisofig #instachi #instachihuahua #instachihuahuas #chihuahuaofinstagram #chihuahuasofinstagram #chihuahuasoninstagram #ayechihuahua #adoptme
5. This little dog looks like he’s going to get blown away in Ascot Hills Park.
6. This Pitbull pup named Lillie is hoofin’ it through Elysian Park.
7. This little mutt did not expect scary turtles in the pond at Ernest E. Debs park.
8. Who among us has not felt this way at the end of a Runyon Canyon hike?
9. This older pooch is catching some rays at Lake Balboa Park.
10. This Doodle named Charcoal is quenching his thirst at Grand Park.
11. This pack at Wildwood Canyon Park looks pretty ruff.
12. This Boston Terrier, obviously a seasoned hiker, looks a little pooped at Will Rogers State Historic Park.
13. This Shiba Inu in Franklin Canyon Park is going to win this staring contest.
14. This Shihtzu is really thinking about taking the whole bench for himself.
15. These puppy pals at Angels Gate Park have all the fluff of an 80s hair band.
16. This Chocolate Lab is camouflaged with the rocks at Portuguese Bend Reserve.
17. Obi Wan Kenobi the Pug is the star of an independent film shooting on location at the Echo Park Lake.
18. This spotted little pup named Pepper is taking a break from skateboarding to chill on the lawn at Barnsdall Park.