As KPCC reports, Vice President Joe Biden will be in town tonight for a fundraiser benefitting Mayor Eric Garcetti’s reelection campaign. The visit, which will culminate at a private residence in Beverly Hills, happens to coincide with another big event in the area: the Golden Globes.
Needless to say, the high level of security and planned road closures in the city will likely present major challenges for drivers. If possible, it might be better to avoid the area altogether; but if that’s not an option, we’ve compiled some important information from the Los Angeles and Beverly Hills Police Departments on the streets you’ll most want to bypass.
The LAPD warns that the following streets will experience bad traffic due to Biden’s visit on Sunday:
- The area around Pershing Drive between Westchester Parkway and Imperial Highway from 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- The area around Imperial Highway between Vista Del Mar and North Sepulveda Boulevard from 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- The area around Wilshire Boulevard between South Sepulveda Boulevard and Malcolm Avenue from 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- The area around Lindbrook Drive and Hilgard Avenue between Westwood Boulevard and Le Conte Avenue from 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- The area around Hilgard Avenue between Weyburn Avenue and Sunset Boulevard (Westwood Village) from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- The area around Sunset Boulevard between Hilgard Avenue and Alta Drive from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- The area around Sunset Boulevard between Alta Drive and Hilgard Avenue from 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- The area around Hilgard Avenue and Malcolm Avenue between Sunset Boulevard and Lindbrook Drive from 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
A few roads have been closed altogether. They include:
- Hilgard Avenue, Los Angeles, (residents and hotel guests only). Closed between Le Conte Ave. and Weyburn Ave. (W Hotel, Westwood Village) on Sunday, January 8 at 12:00 p.m. through Monday, January 9 at 10:00 a.m.
- Malcolm Avenue, Los Angeles, (residents only / no large trucks). Closed between Le Conte Avenue and Weyburn Avenue (behind W Hotel, Westwood) on Sunday, January 8 at 2:00 p.m. through 8:00 p.m.
- North Palm Drive, Beverly Hills, (residents and event guests only). Closed south of Sunset Boulevard and north of Elevado Avenue on Sunday, January 8 from 2:00 p.m. through 8:00 p.m.
On top of that, the Beverly Hills Police Department advises that:
- Santa Monica Boulevard will be closed in both directions, from Wilshire Boulevard to the west City limits
- Traffic on Wilshire Boulevard, between the west City limits and Santa Monica Boulevard, will be reduced to two lanes in each direction
Additionally, Monday could be a tough day for Westside commuters. The LAPD warns that, due to Biden’s departure, drivers should avoid the following streets:
- The area around Hilgard Avenue and Lindbrook Avenue between Le Conte Avenue and Westwood Boulevard from 8:30 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.
- The area around Wilshire Boulevard between Malcolm Avenue and South Sepulveda Boulevard from 8:30 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.
- The area around Imperial Highway between North Sepulveda Boulevard and Vista Del Mar from 8:30 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.
- The area around Pershing Drive between Imperial Highway and Westchester Parkway from 8:30 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.
Good luck out there, drivers!