A two-block stretch of *Wilshire Park's Bronson Avenue that was one of the city's earliest suburban-style neighborhoods has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places, Larchmont Buzz reports. The new Boulevard Heights Historic District was laid out in 1905 by developers Robert McGarvin and Marcus Alonzo Bronson, who bet the city would annex the area, and it did in 1908. White-collar folks from back East moved in, living by the stipulation that their houses be two stories and cost at least $3,000. The nod from the National Register, pushed and funded by residents, means new street signs, protection from certain types of development, and "bragging rights." Even though the area is deemed historic, it has no overarching architectural style, running the gamut from Craftsman to Spanish Colonial Revival, although many of the houses were built with front porches and garages for cars instead of horses.
· South Bronson in Wilshire Park Designated Historic District in National Register [Larchmont Buzz]