The Getty Center is the most valuable piece of property in Los Angeles County yet again, and by a lot—the County Assessor decided that the Richard Meier-designed campus was worth $3.853 billion in 2013. The Getty has topped the LA Business Journal's list of highest assessed properties (via LAObserved) for a while now, but 2013's value was up $73 million over 2012 (when it was down $373 million from 2011). However, since the Getty is a nonprofit, it's exempt from property taxes on most of the campus, with exceptions for the gift shop and cafe. The Chevron Refinery, at number two on the list, is worth practically nothing: $1.796 billion. Most of the rest of the top 10 is made up of more enormous oil refineries.
Here's the top 10:
2. Chevron Refinery, El Segundo ($1.796 billion)
3. Tesoro Carson Refinery, Carson ($1.535 billion)
4. Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Beverly Grove ($1.406 billion)
5. ExxonMobile Refinery, Torrance ($1.377 billion)
6. Valero Refinery, Wilmington ($928 million)
7. Anheuser Busch Brewery, Van Nuys ($807 million)
8. Port of Long Beach - Pier T Berths 132-140, Long Beach ($722 million)
9. USC, University Park ($712 million)
10. Children's Hospital Los Angeles, Los Feliz ($685 million)
And a few more highlights: LACMA comes in at 12 ($622 million) and the Getty Villa is at number 15 ($496 million). Westfield Century City, at 18 ($478 million), just edges out the Beverly Center at 19 ($477 million). And Paramount is the only studio to make the top 25, at number 23 ($449 million).
· Highest Assessed Properties [CBJOnline]