clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

LA History 101: the Eagle Rock

New, 9 comments

Hey, here's an 1878 picture of Eagle Rock's Eagle Rock (then called Piedra Gorda) drawn by "German by traveler and writer Ludwig Salvator, Archduke of Austria, who had visited the Los Angeles area in 1876." He wrote (in translation): "The Piedra Gorda, towering above, is an imposing rock of granite conglomerates, on one side with parallel strata having two sharply defined hollows in which swallows have built their nests." Back then, Eagle Rock was pretty much all farmland. [PSN, image via]