The empty, 100,000-square-foot media campus at Santa Monica Boulevard and Las Palmas Avenue was just bought by the Lincoln Property Company, which is planning major renovations and new tenants, the developer announced today. Originally built by the Eastman Kodak company in 1929 to help develop talkies, the campus "includes a historic two-story, 19,660 square-foot jewel box building fronting Santa Monica Boulevard with an open-air atrium courtyard and fountain, natural lighting and seating, conference rooms and a screening room with seating for 44 people." Within the buildings, Kodak scientists developed the first motion picture film specifically designed for movies with audio, while the screening room became a popular spot for cinematographers to watch dailies. Kodak built an adjacent 86,000-square-foot building in 1994 with more office space, screening rooms, post-production space, and staging areas. To get new tenants to lease up, Lincoln will upgrade the atrium, common areas, and interior and exterior landscaping. Lincoln execs feel confident they can attract businesses, crediting Hollywood's resurgence and accessibility to freeways and subways.
· Lincoln Property Company [Official Site]
· Hooray for Hollywood Archives [Curbed LA]