We're used to seeing the Craftsman work of the architect brothers Greene & Greene, but Henry Greene struck out on his own for the Valentine Houses in the Wild Wood Park section of Altadena. USC's Greene & Greene Virtual Archives explains the work: "Henry Greene designed a new cottage, gate portals and extensive alterations to existing cottages in Wild Wood Park, a development owned by Walter D. Valentine at the end of a private driveway." One of the cottages (a rather flamboyantly-decorated one) has just hit the market--it was originally built in 1912, but was updated by Greene in the early twenties. Renovations to the Valentine Houses included "additions to the existing board-and-batten structure of the existing cottages that included a new entryway, living room and terrace ... The cottages' exposed trusses were decorated with wrought iron and hung with mica lanterns, and the firm's classic arroyo-stone and clinker-brink chimneys were used." This specimen has three bedrooms, two and a half bathrooms, "original hardware, fixtures, and fine woods," multiple fireplaces, a private deck off one of the masters, a sleeping porch off the other master, a separate studio, and a two-car garage, all on two-thirds of an acre. Asking price is $899,500.
· 1419 East PALM St [Redfin]