clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Russian Village's Reclamation

The Daily Bulletin visits Russian Village, a cluster of 15 houses straddling the Claremont/Montclair and LA/San Bernardino border. Polish immigrant Konstanys Stys bought the land on the 300 block of South Mills Avenue in 1923 and "built four of the houses using anything he could find while assisting with the others which were put together in the same way." Building materials include river rocks, debris from buildings demolished after the Long Beach Earthquake, doors from Pasadena's Raymond Hotel, sandstone from an old courthouse, and more. The block is on the National Register of Historic Places. [Daily Bulletin, image of 350 S. Mills via Wikipedia]