This commodious abode was designed by Reginald D. Johnson, architect of Santa Barbara's Biltmore Hotel and Pasadena's Hale Solar Laboratory. Commissioned in 1919 by Charles Paxton, a well-to-do citrus and cattle farmer, it was cited as one of the ten most notable examples of architecture in Los Angeles County by the Southern California chapter of the AIA in 1920 and received the AIA's top prize for residential architecture design in 1921. Despite its awards, the eclectic Spanish-Mediterranean was set to be razed to make way for a private girls' school in the early seventies, but was saved by one of its former occupants, who purchased the home and had it moved from its original location on South Orange Grove Blvd. to its current spot several blocks away in South Pasadena. Sited on a lot of more than half an acre, the property features, per its listing, nine bedrooms, six full baths, five fireplaces, a library with antique paneling, formal dining room with hand-painted mural, original terra cotta and hardwood floors, French doors, zinc counter tops, a home theater, gym, swimming pool with waterfall, loggia, and separate guest house. Last sold in 2004 for $2.805 million, it's now asking $4.85 million.
· The Paxton House: 1920, Reginald Johnson [Deasy Penner]
· 255 HILLSIDE Rd [Redfin]