clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

The Former St. Charles of Borromeo Church in North Hollywood

New, 16 comments

Here's a listing the likes of which you don't see every day. Designed in 1938 by Lawrence Viole, an associate with the firm of Barker & Ott who specialized in religious architecture, this Spanish mission-style structure was built to serve the congregation of North Hollywood's St. Charles of Borromeo Catholic church. But per the church's website, the congregation eventually outgrew the 600-seat building, and in 1959 moved into its current, larger home at the intersection of Moorpark and Lankershim. As for the former church, its most recent congregants know it as an architectural salvage shop called "Scavenger's Paradise." But now the 2,400 square foot building, which features "high vaulted ceilings, wrought iron trusses & wrought iron chandeliers, a double confessional, orchestra/choir balcony, a kitchen, and bathroom with stall shower," is up for grabs. Asking price is $650,000.
· St. Charles Borromeo Catholic Church [Official site]
· $650000 / 7000ft² - HISTORIC CHURCH CREATIVE USE [Craigslist]