Maybe it's the pull of the Pacific, or maybe spaceships are too complicated, but either way Southern Californians can't stop building themselves backyard boats. We first noticed the trend in Burbank in 2007, and since have spotted it in Arcadia, Northridge, and El Segundo (it crops up often in October, not coincidentally). It's also hit Newport Beach in slightly different form--a man there has been getting in trouble with his neighbors and the city because he's been restoring a 1916 boat in his yard for five years now.
· Pirate Ship Quietly Being Built In Burbank Yard [Curbed LA]
· Ahoy Mateys! Halloween Pirate Ship Spotted in Arcadia [Curbed LA]
· Pirate Ship Watch: Northridge Overrun By Pirates, Brits [Curbed LA]
· Pirates Attack South Bay [Curbed LA]
· A Long, Dry Sail [Curbed LA]