clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Hope Stops

New, 5 comments

Blogdowntown explains that UCLA is (sort of) the reason there's a gap in Hope Street between Fourth and Sixth Streets at the Central Library site. The State Normal School for teachers opened in 1882 on five acres at Fifth and Grand, described at the time as "three-quarters of a mile from the business portion of the city." But the city grew up and the school eventually became UCLA and moved to Westwood (after a pitstop at the current LACC site). Fifth was connected in 1923, just a few years before the Central Library opened, but Hope was never made whole. Click through for great photos. [blogdowntown]

UCLA

405 Hilgard Ave., Los Angeles, CA