clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Lloyd Wright's Moore House Officially on DeathWatch Notice...Again

New, 37 comments

Lloyd Wright's 1959 Moore House in Palos Verdes Estates is threatened by demolition for the second time in two years, according to the LA Conservancy. Last year, the owners' plans for demolition and construction of a new house were denied by the Planning Commission "based on the inappropriate scale of the proposed new construction," but they are back again and working on an environmental impact report for a new house. Palos Verdes Estates doesn't have a historic preservation ordinance, but the EIR Notice of Preparation says the house is eligible to become a historic resource. The LA Times wrote about the five bedroom, four bathroom house in 2001, when it went on the market for the first time since it was built for Dr. Louis Moore, describing an unobstructed view of the bay and floor to ceiling windows that could never be built today. Moore is said to have pointed out a neighboring house to Wright and told him, "I don't want a big square house like that one." According to Redfin, the current owners paid $2.725 million in 2004. Public comments can be submitted to the city through June 8. [Photo by Jennifer Clark via LA Conservancy]
· LLOYD WRIGHT’S MOORE HOUSE PROPOSED FOR DEMOLITION [LA Conservancy]

Moore House

504 Paseo Del Mar, Palos Verdes Estates, CA