[LOHA's example of density, via unBeige via Dwell on Design]
Since the Dwell on Design conference was in San Francisco this year, which is about 300 miles further than we care to travel, we're relying on the interwebs to explain to us what happened over the weekend. Curbed Ugliest Building Contest judge Alissa Walker, who covered the event for unBeige, emailed us over the weekend to let us know that unBeige was awash in archiporn. We've summarized the excitement below:
· SF Mayor Gavin Newsom sucks up to DoD attendees; no word on his hairdo.
· Gwynne Pugh, of Pugh + Scarpa fame, slams Irvine and talks up a new P+S project in San Diego.
· Gwynne Pugh, our new favorite architect, hearts urban planners.
· Another Curbed Ugliest Building Contest judge, Lorcan O'Herlihy of LOHA, spoke about Double Edged Density and talked up his firms density solutions in WEHO.
· Gail Goldberg's City of Villages concept for San Diego gets some love, and former Tulane Architecture Dean, Reed Kroloff, gives an update on New Orleans in a discussion of regionalism. Finally, Alissa passes on news that Dwell on Design will be held in Los Angeles next year, June 6-8. We may plan to attend!