"There is nothing like a plate or a bowl of hot soup, it's wisp of aromatic steam making the nostrils quiver with anticipation, to dispel the depressing effects of a grueling day at the office or the shop, rain or snow in the streets, or bad news in the papers." -Louis P. De Gouy, The Soup Book (1949). Soups on, kids!
1) Pack up the cosmos...until the straight girls invade. iCandy, the bar made semi-famous on LOGO, as the gay-oriented network chronicled its opening, is closing. And becoming...a straight bar. Closing party is tonight. Those damn heterosexuals keep messing with Weho. You can always tells who they are by the way they walk.
2) Wait, is spotting Kiefer Sutherland in Los Feliz really news? Isn't he the mayor or something?
3) Reservations are still being accepted for Chef Musical Chairs, aka 5x5. Oh, and there's something about curing autism in there too.
4) We still think naked sushi is about the most vile food trend we've heard of in years. Its not the sexploitation that disgusts us (we live in LA after all), its the hygiene. Seriously, where are the health inspectors?
5) Want to know what's opening soon in LA? One need only check the Craigslist help wanted section. A couple of forthcoming restaurants are finally hiring FOH and BOH staff, inching ever closer to opening dates. One Sunset is about to be imported from NYC, while Charcoal will add one more food option to moviegoers at the Arclight.
6) And finally, we'll add our congratulations to the chorus of accolades for Jonathan Gold for receiving the first ever Pulitzer Prize for food writing. If we ever spot him at some hole-in-the-wall pho joint somewhere in the San Gabriel Valley, that beer is on us.