Downtown Los Angeles upstages the Guy Who Played Moses in a scene from "Omega Man," the sci-fi thriller ranking 4th on a new list of top 5 deserted city scenes in film. The movie, based on Richard Matheson's novel, I Am Legend, about the last man alive in LA, came out in 1971, when extraneous people and cars couldn't be digitized out. So they shot on Sunday morning. When no one goes downtown anyway.
Film geeks, get those three-ring binders ready for a little compare-and-contrast: Will Smith's "I Am Legend," also based on the book, also shot in downtown LA, comes out Dec. 14.
[Scene from 'Omega Man' on YouTube]
The complete list of top 5 deserted city scenes in film:
5. Philadelphia - "Twelve Monkeys" (1995)
4. Los Angeles - "Omega Man" (1971)
3. Madrid - "Abre los Ojos" (1997)
2. Manhattan - "Vanilla Sky" (2001)
1. London - "28 Days Later" (2002)
· Top 5 deserted city scenes in film [The Best Article Every day]
· The Last Man on Earth is Not Alone... [City States]
· Omega Man - Charlton Heston - Phones ringing [YouTube]